The next BC Genealogical Society General Meeting is Wednesday, 14 November 2018, 7:30 pm at the Danish Lutheran Church (Lower Hall), 6010 Kincaid Street in Burnaby.
A Military Theme.
Speakers will be Colin MacGregor Stevens, Marianne Cote-Malley and Laurie Malley.
The BCGS Boutique will be at the meeting.
All interested are welcome to attend. Refreshments.
Download Directions to the meeting and a map here. (.pdf)
Shown above: The visiting Belgium band marching to the Vancouver Cenotaph, May 1929. Photographer Stuart Thomson. Courtesy of the Vancouver City Archives: AM1535-: CVA 99-1909. See the VCA website for other photos.
BCGS Boutique at Kelowna
This year, the BCGS Boutique will be at these special events in British Columbia selling genealogy books, maps, and other aids, including charts and magnifiers, and fun things for genealogists and family historians too. If you are attending any one of these events, have a look at the Boutique’s on-line lists of offerings beforehand. For your convenience, you may contact Cathy Magee to pre-order. In addition, BCGS Boutique items are often featured at Greater Vancouver events, like the BC Highland Games in Coquitlam and the Scandinavian Midsummer Festival in Burnaby in June this year.
- Qualicum Beach Family History Society’s conference Unlocking the Past in Parksville at Tigh Na Mara on May 24, 2014 – www.qbfhs.ca
- BCGS Seminar with speakers Audrey Collins and Geoff Doherty in Richmond on May 31, 2014 – http://www.bcgs.ca/?page_id=2511
- BC Historical Federation’s annual conference and book fair – this year in Cloverdale (Surrey), with the Boutique being on site on Saturday, June 7th –www.bchistory.ca
- Harvest Your Family Tree conference in Kelowna in September put on every second year by the Kelowna & District Genealogical Society – http://www.kdgs.ca
- Finding Your Roots annual conference in October in Surrey put on by the Surrey, Aldergrove and Vancouver Stakes of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. – http://www.findingyourroots.ca
Since the BCGS Walter Draycott Library reopened last week after the holidays, visitors will have noticed a few big changes right away, along with new books, CDs and journals for 2013,
The Genealogical Research Library (GRL), a worldwide subscription website, is now available onsite in the Walter Draycott Library to BCGS members and visitors. Ours is the only library in BC with access to this great site. GRL has its own databases, and provides links to its own and thousands of genealogy and family history resources from around the world, including e-books and antique maps, organized by geography or by topic.
The BCGS Library also has access to Ancestry Library Edition and to AmericanAncestors.org with the New England Historic Genealogy Society’s databases – all free to BCGS members and visitors.
The Irish Lending Library cabinet is now more easily accessible upstairs. Here you will find hundreds of files with articles, inventories, etc. all relating to Irish genealogy research and all collected by the BCGS Irish Group. Before you visit, search the Irish Lending Library catalogue here on the BCGS website.
Many of the BCGS Boutique’s Heritage Books are now on display downstairs and can be purchased at the Library. See which books the BCGS Boutique offers and descriptions of each on the BCGS Boutique webpage.
Please have your BCGS member # handy when you visit, as members have free access to the Library and may take out books, journals and magazines. If you need to renew for 2013, or if you’d like to join us, you can do so right at the Library. For information about Library hours, and directions, see the Walter Draycott Library main page. For membership information, please see the BCGS Membership page.