Final Resting Places: Stanley Park Stories, Saturday, Sept. 8, 2012, Vancouver, BC

Bookmark and Share

Final Resting Places: Stanley Park Stories
Saturday September 8, 2012 from 1pm – 3pm

Tickets: $12 cash
Departs & returns to Brockton Point Visitors Centre (at the totem poles)


This historical walking tour features sites & stories about those who “rest in peace” in Stanley Park. Presented by The Stanley Park History Group’s Jolene Cumming and Lorraine Irving, president of the BC Genealogical Society. The tour visits the old historic Pioneer Cemetery, the monument to those who drowned in the 1913 Chehalis boating disaster, Deadman’s Island’s smallpox Pest House site and various other memorials honouring the dead in the park.

Please pre- register at 604 – 873 – 1866. Limited spaces.

More info: www.stanleyparkhistory.ca

Yukon – Links

Bookmark and Share

Dawson City Museum and Historical Society:
http://users.yknet.yk.ca/dcpages/Museum.html

Dawson City Museum Datases, including the Pan for Gold Database and Yukon Cemeteries & Obituaries::
http://yukongenealogy.com/content/database_search.htm

Yukon and Alaska Genealogy Centre, Murray Lundberg:
http://www.yukonalaska.com/pathfinder/gen/index.html

Yukon Archives: http://www.tc.gov.yk.ca/75.html

Listing of Mrs. M. L. Ferguson’s 1901 Dawson City Directory, published by Barnes & Baber as The Only Yukon-Alaska Directory for 1901: http://www.familychronicle.com/klondike.htm

Cemetery Tour – Vancouver’s Mountain View Cemetery – Sunday, August 5, 2012

Bookmark and Share

A View of Mountain View Cemetery, Vancouver, BC, Canada.Coming up this Sunday, 5 August, 2012 is a Women’s HIstory Tour of Vancouver’s Mountain View Cemetery, 10 am. There are so many fascinating stories about women buried in Mountain View from the City of Vancouver’s earliest history to recent days.. .

Meet at the cemetery’s Celebration Hall, 5445 Fraser St. (enter from 39th Ave.). $10. each. Tour leaders, Lorraine Irving, BCGS President and longtime Mountain View researcher, and M. Diane Rogers, BCGS Editor, and Jolene Cumming of the Herstory Cafe will be there to greet you.

Mountain View Cemetery’s Walking Tour poster. Next is a bike tour of the cemetery, September 15th.

BCGS 2012 Library Week begins today, Monday July 16th!

Bookmark and Share

The BC Genealogical Society’s annual free Library Week begins today, Monday July 16th, continuing each day till Saturday July 21st, 2012.

From July 16 to 21st, the Library is open each day from 10 am to 3 pm and volunteers will be available to assist you in searching the Library collections.

A variety of talks by seasoned researchers are scheduled throughout the week. The 2012 BCGS Library Week schedule and links to handouts are available on the Walter Draycott Library Week page here. Please note that there are a couple of changes to Tuesday’s schedule. The Irish talk will now begin at 10 am (not 10:30 am).

All the Library’s regular features and wordwide and BC collections are available to researchers, including on-line access to Ancestry Library Edition, the New England Historic Genealogical Society’s on-line databases and to specialized databases for Quebec and for Sweden.

The Heraldry section, BCGS Walter Draycott Library, Surrey, BC.

 

BC Brick Walls – New Westminster Court House – 1899

Bookmark and Share

New Westminster BC, Canada Court House, 1901. Courtesy New Westminster Public Library.New Westminster BC, Canada, Court House, 1901. BCGS BC Brick Wall #1.

Photograph courtesy New Westminster Public Library, Historical Photographs Collection, Accession #69.  This was also the Land Registry Office and the Mining Recorders Office. Still standing, now with the former Land Registry Office built in 1910, named “Begbie Court”.

From the building’s heritage plaques:

New Westminster Designated Heritage Building

The New Westminster Court House

1891 – Rebuilt – 1899

The Land Registry Office

1910

The New Westminster Court House

The Court House was designed by architect George William Grant and opened on June 1, 1891 by the first colonial judge and Chief Justice for British Columbia, Sir Matthew Baillie Begbie.

On September 10, 1898 the entire New Westminster downtown business district was destroyed by fire, including the Court House. The Court House was rebuilt within existing walls by G. W. Grant and reopened on June 19, 1899.

The Court House was one of the early public buildings in the Province to be built of brick and stone. It remains as one of the major court houses on the British Columbia Mainland in which Chief Justice Begbie presided.

The Land Registry Office

The Land Registry Office was designed in 1910 by architect E. G. W. Sait. The new building became the Office for the Record of Instruments and the Registration of Titles affecting real estate for the District of New Westminster.

The Court House and the Land Registry were closed in 1980. The buildings were renovated in 1989, renamed “Begbie Court” and reopened in January 1990. In 1997 the buildings were purchased by “Begbie Court Holdings Ltd.”, a wholly owned subsidiary of the “Operating Engineers Pension Plan”.

Campbell River – Genealogy Display & Cemetery Tour – August, 2012

Bookmark and Share

The Campbell River Genealogical Society (CRGS) will be at the Campbell River Heritage Day – Saturday, August 18th at the Spirit Square.

Members of the CRGS will be giving a tour of the old cemetery the following day, Sunday, August 19th at 10:00 am. Sign up at the CRGS display during Heritage Day or contact the CRGS; $5.00 per person. Additional tours may be offered, so do contact the CRGS, if interested.