NOTICE: SPECIAL RESOLUTION
BRITISH COLUMBIA GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
A General Meeting of the members of the BC Genealogical Society will take place as described below. Included in the meeting will be consideration of a special resolution to adopt new bylaws for the Society:
Date: Wednesday, July 11, 2018
Location: Danish Lutheran Church at 6010 Kincaid Street in Burnaby, BC
Time: 7:30 p.m.
The special resolution to come before the membership will be to replace the existing bylaws of the BC Genealogical Society.
The following special resolution will be submitted to the membership for adoption:
“BE IT RESOLVED THAT the BC Genealogical Society’s bylaws be wholly revised, by replacing them in their entirety with the proposed bylaws recommended by the Board of Directors and posted at the meeting.”
The full text of the proposed bylaws is attached, along with a description of changes to the BCGS constitution as mandated by the Province of BC. The existing bylaws and the proposed bylaws will be posted on the BC Genealogical Society website, at bcgs.ca, along with supporting documents.
Dated as of June 1, 2018
THE BRITISH COLUMBIA GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
President, BC Genealogical Society
From Rob Whitlock, Past President and Chair of the Bylaw Review Committee:
“I know that many BCGS members are not able to attend the monthly meetings in Burnaby when many of the upcoming changes to the constitution and bylaws have been described. The notes following describe the changes to the constitution followed by a complete copy of the proposed bylaws.
The Board of Directors wanted to advise as many members as possible about changes to the BCGS Constitution, which are required by the Province as part of the transition to the new Societies Act.
The constitution of all societies is to include only two sections. In the current BCGS constitution, these are those sections:
“The Constitution of the
BRITISH COLUMBIA GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
1. The name of the Society is: BRITISH COLUMBIA GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
hereinafter called “the Society.”
2. The objects of the Society are:
(a) to promote, encourage, and foster the study of genealogy and the performance of original genealogical research, mainly in the Province of British Columbia;
(b) to collect and preserve information, books, manuscripts, typescripts, charts, maps, photographs, microfilms, and related material relevant to such genealogical study and performance;
(c) to encourage and instruct members in the ethical principles, scientific methods and effective techniques of genealogical research;
(d) to publish and distribute books, bulletins, and other printed material as may from time to time be desirable to further the foregoing objects of the Society; and
(e) to raise funds and, in so doing, to accept grants, donations, gifts, legacies, and bequests for any of the foregoing objects and, in accordance with the condition that the Society shall be operated without the purpose of gain for its members, any profits of, or other accretions to the Society shall be used in promoting these objects.”
The following clauses are to become part of the society’s bylaws as directed by the Province:
3. The operations of the Society are to be chiefly carried on in the Province of British Columbia.
4. If upon winding up or dissolution of the Society, there remains after the satisfaction of all its debts and liabilities any property whatsoever, that property shall not be paid to or distributed among the Members, but shall be given or transferred to some other Canadian charitable organisation or organisations having cognate or similar objects, provided that such organisation is a charitable organisation within the meaning of the Canada Income Tax Act for the time being in force. Such organisation or organisations shall be determined by a majority of Members attending the first meeting called by the liquidator on the winding up or dissolution of the Society. This provision is unalterable.
No action is required by the membership in terms of the changes to the Constitution, and addition of clauses (3) and (4) will be included in the proposed bylaws to be considered as part of the special resolution at the July 11, 2018 meeting. It should be noted that Clause 4 will then be described as “previously unalterable” and once adopted as part of the bylaws can then be altered.
If anybody has further questions about these changes, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
The following pages represent the proposed BCGS Bylaws as received and referred to the July 11th meeting by the Board of Directors on May 23, 2018.
FOLLOW THE LINKS BELOW TO DOWNLOAD THESE SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
1. The proposed Bylaws (Draft 3 .pdf)
3. Note on Constitutional changes May 24 2018 (.docx)
4. Current BCGS Constitution & By-laws (.pdf)
This article replaces the previous notice posted on June 1, 2018.