Reminder: The next BC Genealogical Society General Meeting is Wednesday, 9 April 2014, 7:30 pm, at the Danish Lutheran Church, 6010 Kincaid Street in Burnaby.
Talk by M. Diane Rogers - “Only £8 worth of things left” — the case of Henry Parker’s bankruptcy – how his financial woes helped my family history research.
M. Diane Rogers is a Director and Editor and Co-webmistress of the British Columbia Genealogical Society, teaches genealogy and family history, and blogs at CanadaGenealogy, or, Jane’s Your Aunt. She’s been doing her own family research since the 1980s in Canada, the UK and the United States, Sweden and even further afield.
Upcoming BCGS Event: Early Bird priced tickets are still available for the May 31st BCGS seminar with Audrey Collins from The National Archives of the UK and Geoff Doherty from Australia. The April meeting will be the last chance to buy tickets in person before the price goes up! Tickets are also available by phone or on-line. See all the details on the BCGS 2014 Seminar page and download the brochure.
BCGS Boutique at Kelowna
This year, the BCGS Boutique will be at these special events in British Columbia selling genealogy books, maps, and other aids, including charts and magnifiers, and fun things for genealogists and family historians too. If you are attending any one of these events, have a look at the Boutique’s on-line lists of offerings beforehand. For your convenience, you may contact Cathy Magee to pre-order. In addition, BCGS Boutique items are often featured at Greater Vancouver events, like the BC Highland Games in Coquitlam and the Scandinavian Midsummer Festival in Burnaby in June this year.
- Qualicum Beach Family History Society’s conference Unlocking the Past in Parksville at Tigh Na Mara on May 24, 2014 – www.qbfhs.ca
- BCGS Seminar with speakers Audrey Collins and Geoff Doherty in Richmond on May 31, 2014 – http://www.bcgs.ca/?page_id=2511
- BC Historical Federation’s annual conference and book fair – this year in Cloverdale (Surrey), with the Boutique being on site on Saturday, June 7th -www.bchistory.ca
- Harvest Your Family Tree conference in Kelowna in September put on every second year by the Kelowna & District Genealogical Society – http://www.kdgs.ca
- Finding Your Roots annual conference in October in Surrey put on by the Surrey, Aldergrove and Vancouver Stakes of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. – http://www.findingyourroots.ca
FamilyTree DNA will have its Full Sequence Mitochondrial (MtDNA) Test (or upgrades) on sale for a few days only, starting 28 March 2014.
Genetic genealogist CeCe Moore has an article today about this which includes some thoughts on benefits of MtDNA testing for genealogists. Continue reading
Preserving Your Memories – Scrapbooking
Are you interested in learning how to preserve your heritage photos and stories by scrapbooking? If so, an Introductory Presentation will be held at the BCGS Library, in the Boardroom, on Thursday, April 24, 2014 from 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm.
The Presenter will be Donna Mary Schulte. She has over 20 years of experience in scrapbooking and has created her own Heritage Book – which is quite wonderful! During this Introductory Presentation, Donna Mary will discuss her product line, and the steps the participants will learn in the subsequent 4 actual ‘scrapbooking’ sessions, along with the cost of the 4 sessions. Continue reading
Coming up Monday, 24 March, at 7 pm, Pacific time.
Join in right here at www.bcgs.ca
Discuss how to submit your article to the BCGS journal, share some genealogy news, discuss WW I research in British Columbia, the BCGS website, or ? See you then.